Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The sad story of a fat dog.

Oh, dear. I've not been blogging. I've been reading not writing and that's always dangerous.

I had a discussion with a pal about her dog. Their vet said he was too fat.

Well, sadly, he is. Big boned, large, fat Lab.

The cure? Diet dog food.

I was surprised. I didn't know they made such a thing, but then I feed raw. I do feed meat with fat on it but my dogs are not fat.

'Of course, JRTs are naturally much more active.' My friend replied. By the way my Pal is heavier than I am, I'm guessing around 250, so its no surprise her dog is overweight too.

Yes, that is true, JRTs are more active. They are really more active when you walk your dog every other morning for 2 to 3 miles. Then they aren't AS active in the afternoon. But diet dog food? Of course, you pay more for it so that you can feed your dog too much of it just like you fed too much of the other stuff.

Okay, here's my question. Why feed your dog too much food to make him fat? Control the amount of food he gets. Why not insure he gets enough exercise. Walk your dog. You will both benefit.

Her answer? 'I can't walk poor Pookie. He's sick.'

He has diabetes cause he's too fat! He's fat because he eats too much. He needs exercise which will help him lose weight. Walking is the best exercise for him but you won't walk him cause he's sick and has diabetes.

Talk about a vicious circle!

Oh, and he doesn't like to walk.

Uh huh. Sure. Right. How do you know he doesn't like to walk if he's never been walked. My two jump and run circles when I put on the fanny pack and the sun hat. WALKIES! WALKIES! WALKIES!

So there lies poor fat Pookie. He has a life span of 10 if he's lucky. He's sick because he's fat and can't walk to lose weight because he's sick. I've got news for my Pal. Pookie is also going to get arthritis and probably develop hip problems from carrying that extra 20 or 30 lbs.

But then, so is she. So in 5 or 6 years, if she's lucky, the two of them will be sitting at home with 'health issues' and watch me walk by their window with my two Jacks. She'll say that they can't do that and its a shame and I wonder why they can. It must be, oh I don't know, maybe genetics, or fate, or God's will.

No dear friend. It's you.

No comments:

Post a Comment